newsag
AUUSGBINTL
← back to story
The Canberra Times centre corporate 📄 full text

'If I could turn back the clock': Tragic end to eight-day search for Lily

Police confirmed a temporary communication breakdown led to Lily's parents initially being told she was alive. Picture by Sally Foy, suppliedA body found in dense bushland in Nattai National Park is believed to be that of missing teen bushwalker Lily Hooper.Subscribe now for unlimited access. or signup to continue readingSave 30%All articles from our website & appThe digital version of Today's PaperCrosswords, Sudoku and TriviaThe body was found following an extensive eight-day search.Emergency crews face a difficult foot retrieval process due to the thick, dense terrain and steep cliff faces where it was located, some distance from marked walking tracks.NSW Police Force Assistant Commissioner Jo Cassar confirmed the discovery when speaking to media gathered outside the Southern Highlands Police Station on Thursday, August 20.Emergency services found the body about 11.30am on Thursday. Official positive identification has not yet been made, but police believe it is the missing 18-year-old.Lily was reported missing on August 12 after failing to return from a bushwalk. Her car was found parked near the Bonnum Pic Walking Trail, off Wanganderry Road via Wombeyan Caves Road at High Range."The priority is focused on getting Lily out of that dense terrain and to reunite her with her family," Assistant Commissioner Cassar said. "It is certainly not the outcome that we had hoped for and there is great sadness out there with all the searchers involved."Police officer told family firstPolice confirmed a temporary communication breakdown led to Lily's parents initially being told she was alive.Assistant Commissioner Cassar said a State Emergency Services (SES) volunteer who discovered the body reported the find to the command post using a handheld radio in an area with poor reception. Officers conveyed the initial report to the parents, who were present at the command post.Police corrected the mistake within eight to 10 minutes after receiving updated status details from the scene."They're carrying handheld communication devices and ... sometimes the communication is a challenge," Assistant Commissioner Cassar said. "They've got clear instructions when they do have a find and that can be as simple as an item of clothing, or in this case, the person we believe to be Lily."NSW Police Force Assistant Commissioner Jo Cassar and State Emergency Service Assistant Commissioner Colin Malone at the Southern Highlands Police Station on Thursday, August 20.The Assistant Commissioner said the communication mistake will form part of the brief of evidence for the coroner.When pressed about a time of death and whether Lily was alive when discovered, Assistant Commissioner Cassar said experts had not yet examined the scene."That will no doubt form part of the investigation," he said. "We don't have the ... time of death."How did the Premier find out?NSW Premier Chris Minns earlier broke news of the teen being found alive to a NSW Budget estimates hearing, saying she had been found "in the bush with half a bottle of water with her."Assistant Commissioner Cassar said he was not aware of how that information reached the Premier, but confirmed a NSW police officer first conveyed the news to the family."The only thing I can say is my sincere condolences go out to Lily's mum and dad," Assistant Commissioner Cassar said. "Every one of the investigators and the searchers, whether they were volunteers or paid personnel, hoped for a more positive outcome. If I could turn the clock back, I would certainly."Police map difficult trek to recover bodyThe body was located "some distance" from where Lily's car was parked on terrain that "wasn't on a walkable track".Detectives from the Hume Police District have have been brought in to assist with the coronial investigation to determine the time, place, and cause of death.NSW Police, SES and Australian Defence Force members took part in the search. (Dean Lewins/AAP PHOTOS)"It is protocol for something of this significance," Assistant Commissioner Cassar said. "They are the ones trained in taking more complex briefs of evidence."He said the objective was "to get Lily out of there as quickly and as efficiently as we can". Aerial extraction would be "exceptionally difficult," meaning retrieval will likely occur on foot."We are exploring every opportunity ... I can tell you it will be longer than hours," Assistant Commissioner Cassar said.Searchers praised for sacrificeThe multi-agency search involved hundreds of personnel and volunteers from police, the SES, Rural Fire Service, Fire and Rescue NSW, and the Australian Defence Force.SES Assistant Commissioner Colin Malone praised the efforts of the 260 SES members involved in the operation."This was a massive operation for all involved. We are incredibly proud of all our searchers," he said. "The SES had 260 individual members out on the search ground ... leaving their homes, leaving their families to go and be part of the emergency services that help in those circumstances."The crew that located the body was a specialist bush search and rescue team."All the people up there were highly trained and highly proficient in their craft and what they do and they travel across the state to help out where required," Assistant Commissioner Malone said. "Our thoughts go out to (Lily's) family, the friends... And of course my thoughts go to all of my members, particularly the team that was involved in finding her."More from Court and CrimeAs it happensBreaking news alertBe the first to know when news breaks.

Open original at The Canberra Times ↗ · Australian Community Media