Sydney Swans crisis deepens as women involved say ‘we fear for our lives’
The Sydney Swans crisis has deepened with one of the women involved telling 7NEWS she is now fearing for her life.Victorian sex crime detectives have travelled to Sydney on Thursday to interview Swans players Isaac Heeney, Chad Warner, Nick Blakey, Riley Bice and James Jordon, after a woman made a formal complaint to police.The players are helping with inquiries, and no charges have been laid.Know the news with the 7NEWS app: Download today Arrow“It’s understood Victorian police detectives who have travelled to Sydney for further inquiries are working off claims there were up to nine different men in the room over the course of the Party Girls booking,” 7NEWS chief football reporter Mitch Cleary said.“But the Swans insist only five of them were currently listed AFL players.”As the police investigation continues, the woman who took the booking from the players said she is already counting the cost of the saga.The woman, from Party Girls Melbourne, said she and the exotic dancer at the centre of the sexual assault allegations have been identified online.“The woman told us they’re now worried about retribution and fear for their lives,” 7NEWS Sydney’s Chris Reason said.“’I’m so scared ... this is so dangerous for our safety,’ she said.”The players had introduced themselves as tradies, according to 7NEWS sport reporter Tom Morris.“When asked what they did for work, the players told the alleged victims they were carpenters,” Morris revealed earlier on Thursday.Heeney, Warner, Blakey, Bice and Jordon were suspended for the rest of the season by Sydney for breaching club standards, independent of the police investigation. Heeney has already been deserted by sponsors with multiple partnerships and a publishing deal suspended while the process plays out.Leading dental brand Colgate has suspended a lucrative sponsorship deal with the 30-year-old vice-captain, who along with his teammates has apologised for their behaviour at the Melbourne hotel early on Monday. On Thursday, book publisher Allen & Unwin said it had “paused promotion” of Heeney’s two existing ‘Little Isaac Footy Fever’ children’s books and suspended publishing of a third while the police investigation was under way. Apparel and boot supplier Nike also suspended sponsorships of Heeney and Warner, while the pair were stood down as ambassadors for Telstra. Publication and promotion of Isaac Heeney’s children’s books have been paused. Credit: InstagramWriting on Thursday, former co-captain Kieren Jack said Sydney’s famed “Bloods culture” felt “broken” in the wake of the allegations.Jack said he was “devastated, disappointed and very troubled” by the alleged actions and a lack of respect for women could not be tolerated. “Bloods culture’ is spoken about. This was built and maintained through a core pillar of respect,” Jack wrote on an Instagram story. “Respect for each other, respect for the club, your family, the opponent, supporters and importantly, community. “Right now this feels broken.” Jack’s thoughts echoed those of John Longmire, his 2012 premiership coach. “The culture of the footy club has taken a big hit and it will take time for everyone to rebuild the trust in the football club,” Longmire told Fox Footy on Wednesday. Coach between 2011 and 2024, Longmire, who is currently the club’s executive director of club performance, said the on-field ramifications of banning the players wasn’t a priority for Swans hierarchy.“It was just incredible deep sadness ... and that is probably where we’re still sitting,” he said.“It’s flattening for a lot of people.”Current Sydney coach Dean Cox and captain Callum Mills are due to speak at a press conference on Friday morning.The Swans named an extended squad on Thursday night to face North Melbourne on Sunday afternoon at the SCG, with the line-up decimated by the absence of the banned players.James Rowbottom, Angus Sheldrick, Corey Warner, Harry Cunningham, Caiden Cleary, Patrick Snell, Tom Hanily and Malcolm Rosas have been added to the squad.“The Swans well and truly dipping into their VFL squad,” Mitch Cleary reported.In second place on the ladder, they are assured of hosting two finals as they seek to win the club’s first premiership since Longmire led the team to the flag in 2012.Chief executive Matthew Pavlich and chairman Andrew Pridham sent a letter to the community apologising for the distress caused and emphasising their disappointment. Pavlich was earlier on Thursday asked if he had a message for Swans fans ahead of the match, which is a double-header with Sydney’s AFLW team. “Keep supporting us. We’re sorry we are putting you all through this,” he said at Swans headquarters on Thursday morning. “It’s been really challenging day for them (supporters), for us, for all our people who we care deeply about. “We’ve got two games to look forward to on Sunday, the double-header, and the girls are really excited about their match. “We’re excited to have a huge crowd at the SCG.”If you or someone you know needs help, contact 1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732), Sexual Assault Counselling Australia (1800 211 028) or Lifeline (13 11 14).— with AAP
Open original at 7NEWS ↗ · Seven West Media (Kerry Stokes)